Making it Through #Droughtlander with Fan Videos

Written By: Janet Reynolds



The end of #Droughtlander Take Two is nowhere in sight. All we get from Starz is vague answers like "spring 2016" with perhaps a March or April thrown in as a bone. Combine this with winter coming to those of us who live in the Northern Hemisphere and well, it's not pretty.

And so this is an ode to the fans who make those luscious videos. You know the ones I'm talking about — the wonderful song about love and friendship and standing by your man etc. combined with a montage of moments we all love to remember. They are a momentary oasis in the #Droughtlander desert.


I first discovered these videos on Tumblr, a treasure trove of all things Outlander. I don't officially write on Tumblr, but I'm not gonna lie: I'm a Tumblr Outlander voyeur, following folks who are clearly more technically savvy than I am and who have way more time to follow their Outlander obsession.

And of course YouTube is another Outlander hotspot. Type in "Outlander" and you get nearly one million options. "Outlander Fan Videos" narrows the search to 5,130, while typing in
"Outlander Fan Song Videos" yields about 6,620. It's enough to make a Sassenach's heart sing.

Given the number and everyone's different aesthetics and criteria for measuring what makes a "good" video, this post is not meant to suggest the person I'm featuring has created the ultimate videos. They're just ones I particularly like. I'd love to have you all post some others below so we can share the love and wealth.

Regardless of ultimate quality, this much is true about all the fan videos: They take time. A LOT of time.

One of my favorite fan videographers is a young woman called Jessica who hails from Ireland. She writes a popular blog on Tumblr called jamesandclairefraser (she just hit the 2 million mark.) When she's not shipping Cait and Sam, she covers Outlander generally and has impressed me with her ability to stay out of the hubbub that Outlander's fandom can sometimes inspire. I'm also impressed because her mother was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's when she was 18 and now, at 23, she is her mother's main caregiver.

Anyway, when we chatted by email, she said it takes her about 18 hours to make a video. She's been making fan videos off and on for about seven years, but got back into it seriously when she discovered Outlander in August 2014. "I quickly fell in love withJamie and Claire and their love for each other, so I decided to start making videos again. I feel that I’ve improved my skills greatly in the last year mainly due to being so inspired by the positive feedback I’ve received." All told Jess has made nine videos of Jamie and Claire and one of Sam and Cait (which happens to be my total fave).

In making a video, Jess spends a lot of time deciding what clips and effects to use. She usually works a little each day, finishing a video in a week.

Jess says it's both the music and a moment in Outlander that inspire her to start a particular video. "It's definitely a combination of both," she says. "Any time I watch an episdoe of Outlander or watch a particular scene, I know that I want to make a video. If I happen to find a song that I feel suits their relationship, I listen to it over and over again until I can envision the scenes that coreelate with the lyrics."

So without further ado, here are a couple of my favorite videos from Jess. I hope you enjoy them.




And for the shippers out there....this one is awesome....


What are your favorite fan videos? Let's share the wealth and love below so we can all make it through #Droughtlander!

Do you want more Outlander chat? Get your fix by listening to The Outlander Cast Podcast with detailed show discussion and amazing interviews with cast, crew, writers and directors of Outlander on Starz

37 comments

  1. Jess's videos are fantastic. So is Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these videos! Quite the work of art- it's amazing how much time they take. Way to go Jess- you put so much time into your blog and spread so much positivity about Outlander and Sam and Cait! Thank you for recognizing her!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you for reading

      Delete
  3. Both made me cry. It proves how much love was put into making these videos. Jess you have done a wonderful job keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both made me cry. It proves how much love was put into making these videos. Jess you have done a wonderful job keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these two videos are particularly emotional I think. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. SamCait "Friends" is my absolute favourite of all of Jess' videos. I think it says beautifully, both with lyrics and visuals, why shippers can't help but ship Cait and Sam. We love love and we love the love we see between these two extraordinarily special people. Jess is a master (or mistress!) at being able to express the perfect tone in her videos.
    I also love Jess LeBlanc's videos. Her song choices are also perfect. We appreciate you girls so much. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, I typed Jess LeBlanc when of course I meant JULIA LeBLANC! Sorry Julia xx

      Delete
    2. I so agree about the friends video. I will check out Julia's work. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The only person in this entire post spreading hate is you Roseanne.

      Delete
    3. You're the only one here "engendering so much hate" Roseanne. You stay classy though.

      Delete
  7. Jess makes the best videos. They are so poignant and artistic. Ohhhh the feeeeels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The video shows what is real and all I can see there is Sam and Cait's love trough their own words, their own actitudes and body language. And I will always chose "silly" blogs who spreads Sam and Cait's love, whatever is the level of it, over those who promote lies and hate in this fandom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess is an amazing person. She's so good with these videos. And she does keep such a cool head in the face of so many anon messages on tumblr and other attacks on her character. She is someone everyone should look up to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess's video are some of my favorite (even before I found her on Tumblr) I also like Julia LeBlancs and my overall favorite since 4 out of 9 of my Outlander playlist on youtube are her videos is Elena Vas - 'DG Herself' even praised one of her videos on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to mention Julia. I will definitely check out her work. Thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. Yes- Julia also makes amazing vids

      Delete
    3. Love Eleana and Julia too!!

      Delete
    4. Love Eleana and Julia too!!

      Delete
  11. This made me cry...Thank you! I am a huge fan of OL, & Jess too. I fell in lovw with Jamie & Claire & Cait & Sam from the Starz series first, & then the books, which I have read many times! Sometimes I feel like I live in the 1700's, & You are so right about Jess...I had no idea what a blog was & happened to luck up & found Jess's blog first, & fell in love with her too. She is a dear, sweet, angel of a young woman. I also was a caregiver for my mother, for 15 years, and she died a few months ago, so I know what it Jess goes through daily. I am over 30 yrs. older than Jess, so not only my heart, but my utmost respect goes out to Jess & we all (her followers) love her dearly. Thank You for this post. God Bless & Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great videos, I have loved Jamie and Claire for many years now. I treasure the Outlander cast and these video creators for bringing my favorite literary characters to life in another dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great videos, I have loved Jamie and Claire for many years now. I treasure the Outlander cast and these video creators for bringing my favorite literary characters to life in another dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are not enough words to describe the talent that this young women has. She shows us all the compassion & love she gives freely to her fellow man. I wish her the greatest possible success in her future endeavors. We love you Jess for the kind & loving soul that you are. Your mature attitude has developed well beyond your years. Also, Happy Birthday fellow Libra, your part of a special Zodiac sign. You will always be blessed for your out going love to thoughs of the persons, animals & situations around you that are shown your love & attention to! ��

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful article and thank you for mentioning her especially after a horrific week of bullying and degrading things said about her on SM. She deserves all the praise and recognition

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful article and thank you for mentioning her especially after a horrific week of bullying and degrading things said about her on SM. She deserves all the praise and recognition

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful article and thank you for mentioning her especially after a horrific week of bullying and degrading things said about her on SM. She deserves all the praise and recognition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the piece. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  18. Great piece, Janet! Wow, that first video is stunning! That song is pure perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article, thanks. I have been so impressed with the talent of the individuals who create these videos. I agree that Jess, Julia and Elena are all amazing (just watched Elena's Oh L'amour video). Well done ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julia makes great vids! You can find them under E Jamie on You Tube. She does about 2 a week and they are amazing!!!!!! You are in for a treat❤️

    ReplyDelete
  21. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGc2izEWWg&index=4&list=LLTFaqbs8nbdIungVrLsng1A

    Is another good video.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top