Favorite Lines from the Outlander Show

Written By: Janet Reynolds



I don't know about the rest of you, but it feels as if #droughtlander will never end. The folks at Outlander Starz continue to toy with us, promising a season two premiere in April — sometime. Meanwhile, touch grumpy.

To help pass the time, I decided to do a wrap-up of favorite lines from the TV show. Some of them are right from the book, because let's face it, the main reason the show is so good is because the original material exists. Thank you Diana Gabaldon. To prep for this post, I needed to  rewatch the episodes again do a lot of important research to find these quotes. I also asked around the web and social media for suggestions. Here, without further ado, are some of my — and your — favorite lines from the TV show. It's not complete, but of course we can all keep adding to it (add your favorites in the comment section below) — and rewatching the episodes again. :)


Before I start, I want to offer fans another option for getting your Outlander fix. Every week on Facebook, a very dedicated reader and show fan, France Vincent, posts AMAZING excerpts from the books. If you've read the books, you will relish reliving each and every scene she meticulously picks. If you haven't read the books, let this serve as inspiration.  If these excerpts don't get you going, I don't know what will. You can read her excerpts at Toutlander (France's group), Heughan's Heughligans, and Outlander Series.

On to the lines — with this caveat: These are not ALL the great lines. They're just to get the conversation going. Let's all add to the list below and share the Outlander love! And now, in no particular order....

From "Both Sides Now":


Jamie: "Is it usual, what it is between us when I touch you, when you lie with me? Is it always so between a man and a woman?"
Claire: "It's often something like this...No, this isn't usual. It's different."

From "The Devil's Mark":

Geillis: "It looks like I'm going to a fucking barbecue."

gif courtesy http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/


Also this one:


Jamie: "I swore an oath before the alter of God to protect this woman. If you're telling me you think your authority to be greater than the Almighty, I must tell you I'm not of that opinion myself. The first man forward will be the first man down."

And this one: clearly I like this episode a lot.


Jamie: “Aye, I believe you, Sassenach. Although it would have been a good deal easier if you’d only been a witch.”

And of course from "The Wedding"... besides the obvious "ye are blood of my blood....":


Claire: "Where did you learn to kiss like that?"
Jamie: "I said I was a virgin, not a monk. If I need guidance, I'll ask."

From "By the Pricking of my Thumbs":



Dougal to Jamie and Claire as they say good-bye: "I said kiss her, dinna swallow her."

From "The Way Out:"

Murtagh to Claire: "He needs a woman, no a lassie. Laogherie will be a lassie 'til she's 50."


photo courtesy rebeccatrognerblog.com

From "The Gathering": Angus and Claire as Claire plots her escape...


photo courtesy outlanderanatomy on tumblr

Angus: "That's no Rhenish."
Claire: "It's port."
Angus: "It's very strong."
Claire: "'Tis."
Angus: "I canna keep my legs."
Claire: "It's a sedative."
Angus: "Is that Spanish?"

And last but so not least from "The Reckoning," the episode that wins Best Episode IMHO: 

Jamie to Claire just before the best make-up sex scene ever written/produced for TV:

"I want you Claire. I want you so much I can scarcely breathe. Will you have me?"



Jamie to Claire after the best make-up sex scene written/produced for TV:

"I am your master and you are mine. It seems I canna possess you without losing my soul."



So what are your favorite lines? Which ones did I miss? Share the love below and help us all make it through #droughtlander!

26 comments

  1. "Well, uh, in the early days it's just a bit like wind in your belly. Later you start to feel the child move and it's like a fish on a line - just a quick tug and then gone so soon you're not sure you felt it. They sleep for hours at a time. Sometimes when there's been no movement, ye feared they've died. And then ye try to wake them and when they kick again you get down on your knees and promise God anything He asks if He'll just keep me safe. Then towards the end, when the child moves a lot, it's a feeling like, when your mans inside ye, when he comes to ye deep and pours himself inside ye, and that throbbing begins, it feels like that."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that moment too. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Here is another one of my favs..... "Here's to a long life, and a merry one; a quick death, and an easy one; a pretty girl, and an honest one; a stiff whiskey, and another one. Slàinte mhath"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire to Jamie: "You belong to no one else but me and I belong to you and nothing will ever change that." To me, this sums up their love story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Silvina. They are such a wonderful couple on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. knew ye belonged here, with me, almost since the first time I laid eyes on ye. That’s one of the reasons I agreed to marry ye. Though not the main one … Because I wanted you more than I ever wanted anything in my life. Right from that moment I fell off the horse and woke up in the dark looking up at your face. Then there was that long ride together, with that lovely round arse wedged tight between my thighs, and that rock-solid head thumping me in the chest … I wanted ye from the first moment I saw ye. But I loved ye when ye wept in my arms that first night at Leoch. But now I wake up every day and I find that I love you more than I did the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. Such a good choice. Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  6. The innocence of Jamie from the Reckoning: " Sassanach, um, what does "fucking" mean? Ah, just what we did. How about " sadist" you called me that too? Ah, it's someone who derives sexual pleasure from hurting someone. Och Well, you don't flatter me all to much, but I don't fault the observations."
    Oh, Claire what fun it is to have a " newbie" to teach. Slainte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that part too. Such a wonderful circle from when Claire originally said them.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting Janet,fr RENT,when Jamie sleeps at Claire's door & she invites him to sleeps inside,he says I cannot sleep in the same room as You what about your reputation?Claire suprised having slept outside with ten man,but its not the same thing at all Jamie replies,shows he is a gentleman of the times & his moral compass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great indicator of Jamie's character. Love that line. Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  8. You're tearing my guts out, Claire...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good moment too. That fight was filled with such emotion and so well portrayed in the show. Thanks for reminding me

      Delete
  9. From Castle Leoch: Old Alec: Rupert, ye great fat fart! Did you ever even look at her hooves?! Ye canna expect any beast to carry around something that weighs as much as you without taking care of the poor creature's feet!!" 🏇❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great exchanges between minor characters in this show and the books. It's part of what makes Outlabder so wonderful.

      Delete
  10. Colum's unforgettable moment: " Now that I have all three of you weasels gathered together...."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colum is such an awesome character and so well portrayed in this show. His tossing Dougal the coins after Jamie helps him see a way out was pretty awesome too. I also thought that showed Jamie really growing up and his potential as a leader too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo many great lines.. Thanks very much, I agree with all your choices. But I'm writing to say I STRONGLY AGREE WITH YOUR CHOICE OF BEST EPISODE. I thought The Reckoning was a masterpiece-- it had EVERYTHING. Danger, intrigue, drama, fights, temptation, best make up sex in the history of the cinema or TV. And my favourite line from the whole series-- "seems I cannot possess your soul without losing my own" sigh....verrrry intense !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even tell you how many times I've rewatched that episode! I may do a whole post on it :)

      Delete
    2. Yes !!!! Episode 9 is truly a "perfect" piece of entertainment. I remember being totally blown away the first time I saw it (after the long droughtlander). I have watched it many, many times. The whole thing is so intense, with not one minute that isn't utterly compelling. (I have a few complaints about the pacing of some of the other episodes-- sometimes I don't agree with their editing choices-- i.e. important elements that are too short, and unimportant elements that are too long, like Dougal's 10 minute long drunken rant when his wife dies-- totally un-necessary. That valuable time could have been filled with more important things).

      Delete
  13. Mrs. Fitz: Let's find you something to wear that's a bit more... well, a bit more.

    Jamie: Now I know why the church calls it a sacrament.
    Claire: Why?
    Jamie: Because I feel like God himself when I'm inside ye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh those are two more good ones Missy.....I so love Mrs. Fitz. And that's a great Jamie line :)

      Delete
  14. My husband's favorite is from The Wedding. "To bed? Or to sleep?" I have to be careful how I bid him goodnight...

    I have too many favorites. One that hasn't been brought up here is from Episode 6. "Does it not bother you that I'm not a virgin?" to which Jamie replies, "Well...no. I reckon one of us should know what we're doing!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Marie---that's a good one from episode 6. And that moment from The Wedding---Jamie's face as he says it.....so awesome!

      Delete
    2. You're right Marie---that's a good one from episode 6. And that moment from The Wedding---Jamie's face as he says it.....so awesome!

      Delete

Back to Top