Fall is coming... Outlander vs. Poldark, Literally.

Written by: Ashley Crawley


Remember the debate last fall? No, not those debates. I’m referring to the one where we reconciled our collective guilt for obsessing over Poldark in an Outlander-like fashion by comparing the two shows pecs-to-pecs head-to-head. Well, obsessenachs, that Outlander vs. Poldark scenario just got real—very real— with the announcement that Poldark will be back on U.S. screens starting October 1 at 9 p.m. Why? Because that’s the EXACT day of the week and EXACT time that Outlander will also finally be back on our screens. And the scheduling plot thickens…

Silly me had nothing but excitement when PBS dropped this on Twitter this week.


“Oh Aidan, yesssssss. What delicious news! Also, YOU look delicious, per usual. You’ve made my Anglophile heart sing!” Granted, I’d hoped we’d see Ross and Demelza back on our screens sooner than fall, but I was just excited for an exact date to circle on the mental calendar with eager anticipation. So excited, in fact, that I didn’t bother to connect the dots to understand the bigger implication here. Leave it to my pal and Outlander Cast Blog senior writer, Denise Stewart, to do so for me by calmly slipping this in, all casual and whatnot.




In the words of one badass Claire Fraser, JHRC. I digested the scheduling conflict and then found myself staring at that picture of Aidan Turner with different eyes. “Look at you, just standing there looking all smug and pleased with yourself for upping the ante on the Ross vs. Jamie showdown. You’ve got some smoldering nerve.”

Dinna fash too much, though. In this digital day and age, we can readily stream, record and playback at a speed that would make our 18th century heroes’ lusciously locked heads spin to imagine. Heck, the Starz apps allows you to stream new episodes of Outlander as soon as 12:01 AM on the day it’s scheduled to air. Pretty fantastic, right?

My only gripe—and I might not be alone here—is that I wished for a TV world where we might be able to enjoy each show in its own independent time so as to minimize the withdrawal pains felt by the lengthy off-seasons that accompany our favorite shows. Now, it appears both shows will go dark at the same time. I know, I know… cue the sad tiny violin, please… #firstworldTVaddictproblems


While you wait out October, dive back in with fresh eyes to our Outlander vs. Poldark debate. Disclaimer—our swooning opinions of Ross were based on Season 1 only. Because, well, Season 2. Yipes, Ross. YIPES.

All that comparison and contrast aside, let’s be real. It’s no contest. Come Sunday nights at 9 p.m. in October, you’ll find me giddily watching Outlander (and live blogging again) before catching up on the Ross and Demelza saga as soon as Ron Moore has whisked me into the World of Outlander.

Who’s with me?


It's Sunday at 9 p.m. — do you know what your friends are watching?
And how about you?


19 comments

  1. As you say, Ashley, no contest! As much as I love Ross and Demelza and their drama, and dislike grudgy George and extremist Elizabeth, they will be waiting on my DVR til I've watched Outlander at least three times. Have to watch once for the story, a second for the costumes and a third for fast-forwarding to the good parts and reviewing them as needed.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT is a fantastic formula to follow!

      Delete
    2. I adore Ross, but I LOVE Jamie. I've watched Outlander episodes countless times while I watch Poldark several times. The on-screen chemistry shared by Caitriona and Sam is electric and unmatched by any other screen couple IMHO.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely with you, Ashley! I do agree with your comment about wanting to savor them separately, but Outlander with ALWAYS be first, then Poldark. Hell, the viewing order would really be Outlander real time, Outlander w/ Ron's Podcast commentary, then Poldark, just sayin'..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, just managing PBS' expectations of your viewing commitment, eh? I did truly hope Poldark might come back on in the summer - closer to when it will also air in the U.K. That is what they did with S2. That might have eased some of the no-Outlander summertime blues.

      Delete
  3. So now, Season 3 is not beginning in April, nor September, but October? Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no... Starz still says "September." But with 13 episodes, it's bound to overlap with Poldark's 8 that will start October 1 on the same night of the week and same time.

      Delete
  4. I just started watching Poldark and while I enjoyed watching it I bought some of the books however the books are not up to the same standards as Diana's and it's a hard read. Afraid I'm going to have to stream Poldark And tune in every Sunday at 9 o'clock for Outlander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with you on the books. It felt very required AP English class reading to me. However, it's great... just not as the Outlander books were for me.

      Delete
  5. I will DVD both. Outlander to watch more than once, and Poldark to save for later. So much more depth to Outlander!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I often refer to Poldark as Outlander Lite.

      Delete
  6. No contest! of course Outlander! I will never get tired of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, I actually rewatch Outlander (a few times) and Poldark... well, not so much.

      Delete
  7. I prefer Poldark, ever so slightly, over Outlander, but love both shows. I will probably do a lot of juggling on Sunday nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let the circus act begin! This is why I wish they were coming back on at different times of the year.

      Delete
  8. TVHC - TV historical circus. We could have worse problems, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you looking for free YouTube Views?
    Did you know that you can get these ON AUTOPILOT AND TOTALLY FOR FREE by registering on You Like Hits?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top