We Love Davina Porter! A Talk with THE Voice of Outlander

Written by: Janet Reynolds


For many of us, life can be divided into two substantive periods: Before Outlander and After Outlander. Yes, other minor events may creep in—marriages, births, deaths, jobs—but in the course of what matters, Outlander looms large.

Before Outlander, for instance, I had never obsessed over anything—or at least not to the extent to which I obsess about this series and show I had also not been a member of anything you could even remotely suggest was a fandom since the days of the Monkees. That, um, has all changed. Just ask my family...or co-workers...or friends...or maybe even a random stranger I happen to begin chatting with while on line at Starbucks.

Before Outlander, I was also a book purist. Yes, electronic readers could be convenient for trips, but that's it. And certainly no audiobooks! No, I want to hold the book in my hand, to feel its paper between my fingers and smell its musty odor.

That, too, changed thanks to Outlander. Having re-read the series three times (I'm leading a read-along of Voyager on our Facebook page if you're interested), I was looking for a way to stay connected during the Longest-Droughtlander-Ever. My good friend who bullied me into watching the series (THANK YOU, SUSAN!!!) was an audiobook fan, and my sister-in-law and her partner only listen to the books because, as they said to me, the reader was THAT good.

And so, I took the leap to my first audiobook. And, like Claire's leap through the stones, my life has never been the same. Davina Porter, the reader for all eight Outlander books so far, is beyond amazing. I decided we needed to talk. I tracked her down via the wonders of the web—she lives on Fraser Road!—and knew as soon as she picked up the phone I had found her. Here's what she had to say about acting, recording books and, of course, our favorite subject, Outlander.

We can thank a three-line listing in Backstage, a trade magazine where auditions, casting information and other tidbits are noted, for Porter becoming the voice of Outlander. “I was skimming and right at the back I saw a listing for a native-born Scot to read Culloden,” she says. At that time, audiobooks were a fairly new concept.

She was intrigued, so she went in for the audition. “We like your voice. We think we will have future work for you, but we wanted a native-born Scotsman,” Porter says of the audition. “I thought nothing more of it.”

Three months later, she got a call and was asked if she was still interested. “What happened to the native-born Scotsman?” she asked. “'We had various tapes, they said — and all of them were incomprehensible.'”

That was in 1985 and she hasn’t looked back. While continuing to act on stage, Porter, one of the founding narrators of Recorded Books, to date has recorded well over 400 audiobooks. Besides the Outlander series, she has recorded Anna KareninaMadame Bovary and Tess of the D’Urbervilles. She’s recorded Alexander McCall Smith’s Isabel Dalhousie series, and Phillipa Gregory’s The Virgin’s Lover and The Boleyn Inheritance.

Porter is recognized by more than her fans, too. She’s won many awards over the years. Her recording of A Breath of Snow and Ashes earned her a second Audi, the Oscar of the audiobook industry, for Best Female Narrator of the Year. In 2015, her recording of Written in My Own Heart’s Blood earned her a Voice Arts Award for Best Voiceover in Fiction. She was also included in Audiofile Magazine’s 50 Best Voices of the Last Century.

Porter is direct about what she loves about recording books. “The control,” she says simple. “I love acting. (She’s semi-retired now.) But you are at the mercy of the person onstage who if they go off, you have to be on your toes to pull them back. With the book, it’s you. You’re totally in control.”

The key to good reading, Porter says, is staying out of the way. “The main thing is you don’t want to impose your voices on the books. You are the conduit. You do your best to do the author’s intent and make it very interesting for the listening.”

As with acting, good preparation is key. First step is reading the book. “It sounds daft,” she says. “I know someone who never reads the book. You can’t do that. You will find pitfalls.” She gives an example with Thornbirds. “On page 80, he replied in a soft Irish brogue he hadn’t lost since childhood. If you haven’t been doing that voice in a soft Irish brogue, you’ve got to go back to the beginning."

After reading, she begins to work on the voices, including the narration voice. “That must be as interesting,” she says. “You don’t want people to turn off. You have to make the narration come alive as well."

She talks a little about her Outlander voices. With Outlander Claire, I kept as I was. I have an affinity with Claire. I feel I am Claire. It was lovely to do her. She’s such a smart woman.”

For Jamie, “you can’t sound masculine. I tried to sound less feminine. I have a Scottish mother and I’m married to a Scot. I listened to his accent. That’s ingrained. I made Jamie more Scottish but less female.”

Porter is particularly proud of the voice she created for Roger after his, um, trauma. (You’re welcome, people who have not read ahead.) “He had such a beautiful voice,” she says. “That was a challenge.” Porter likes Geillis’ voice, too. “She’s so mysterious. You knew she was bad but you didn’t know why,” she says. “I didn’t want to give away how bad she was when you first meet her. That’s tough. You must let the story progress. You must also be careful not to let that first clue slip. You don’t lean on it. You have to have that wait a minute moment.”

Some of the most fun comes from the minor characters. “You can give them daft accents, comic accents,” she says, “because you’re not going to have the listener say, 'oh it’s that irritating person again.'”

Porter also makes a list of characters. “I look for the clues. How old are they? Do they have education? Are they children? Are they young people with no education at all? Are they shy? Are they bruised by life? Are they timid?" All this sleuthing helps her decide what type of voice to use.

She keeps history in mind too. Later in the series, a smart Quaker girl becomes a key character. (Yes, it’s Rachel for those who’ve read the whole series.) “She is more modern for her time but never out of her time,” Porter says. “I never make the mistake of saying she’s really a 21st century girl. She’s not. She’s restricted by the mores and morals of her time.”

And, of course, Porter’s choices are informed by the story itself. Many of the characters are people who have never left their village. “Five miles down the road, he’s going into a strange country. That happened at that time. What I do with my characters to convey that?” she says, noting her books have lots of notes in the margins.

“Sometimes when you record, you realize characters have developed so you make more notes,” she says. “I have many scruffy notebooks.”

Given that the book is meant to reflect 18th century Scotland, for the most part, Porter must also think about the correct pronunciation of a word. Is it HAR-assment or ha_RASS-ment? “It’s little things. Do we want the American pronunciation of a word?” And then there’s the Gallic. “We had great fun chasing down a lovely man from Outer Hebrides who lives in New Hampshire,” she says. “He would send back a tape of the words to me. I had great fun parroting that and popping it in.”

All fine and good, but it’s time to ask THE question. What is it like reading Diana Gabaldon’s amazingly well-written, no-holds-barred sex scenes? “It’s not gratuitous sex, but oh boy it was hard to read. I came to the first scene and I thought, oh mercy I have never read a sex scene. How is one doing this?” she says. “If I do it over the top, it’ll be embarrassing. I read it to myself first. Fortunately, I had a female engineer at the time. I thought, just do it. At the end, she was silent and I thought, is she thinking it’s so bad? When I came out of the recording studio, she said, ‘Would you like a cigarette?’ I said, so it was okay? She said absolutely. After that it was fine. “


Recording is tiring work. “You must stop when you realize your voice is getting tired and all you’re thinking is just finish, just finish. You don’t want anyone listening to think well this chapter is a bit dull.”

While she can record five hours in a day, Porter does rest, stopping for drinks of water. Green apples, she says, are good to eat. “They give you fluid in your mouth and are not loud when digesting,” she says, adding tea with honey and lemon is a good staple. “It relaxes your throat.” Avoid coffee. “It makes you gurgle and dries your throat.” Clothes are important, too. “Clothes have a life of their own,” she says. “Silk whispers.”

At this point, it’s been decades since Porter first voiced Jamie and Claire. And, just as Jamie and Claire have aged, so has Porter—and her voice. “It has deepened,” she says. “It’s harder to do the young voices now, particularly children. I’m hoping it doesn’t change too badly. That’s when you have to hang up your tap shoes. I’m hoping I can continue to record.”

Porter has seen some of the Starz TV show, but for the most part is avoiding it. “I don’t want to see it. In my head, I have the characters. I have how they look, how they sound. I didn’t want to be distracted by the wonderful cast. I know how I want them to sound. I think I’m being true to Diana’s words. I want to have my own world with my own vision of these folks. Hopefully, I will be given the next book.”

From your lips to God’s ear, Davina. From your lips to God's ears.


Have you listened to Outlander on audiobooks or are you a book-only Outlander consumer? Have you gone on to listen to any of Diana Gabaldon's other books as recorded books, such as the Lord John Grey series? 


39 comments

  1. While reading this wonderful interview, I had the idea that STARZ should cast Divina as Jamie's aunt Jocasta! It felt perfect and would give an Easter Egg to her fans. But after reading the last paragraph, I doubt she would be interested. That casting choice will be crucial to seasons 4 through 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce

      love that idea. If only Davina wasn't 79. I suspect it would be too much of a commitment as an acting gig.

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten her age. Whoever they cast has to be available for seasons 4-6 at least. I don't remember off-hand if Jocasta has a brief appearance in book 7, but I think she has left NC by then or could be referred to without being in a scene. But Jocasta and Steven Bonnet will be crucial casting decisions for season 4 and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....and let's all cross all our fingers we get a season 5 and 6.....I hope the cast and showrunners aren't getting tired of Outlander!

      Delete
  3. I have been listening to audiobooks since they first started becoming popular (remember when book on tape meant cassettes?). For me Jim Dale, the voice of the Harry Potter series, was the gold standard - his voices for the characters were wonderful. Jim Dale was it...until I heard Davina! I'm only on my second read through of the Outlander series and the first time with the audiobooks (I'm currently on DOA). Davina is fabulous, helping me to "see" what's happening in a scene (especially "those" scenes!). I'm am thoroughly enjoying the journey this time with Davina at my side. I hope she'll stick around through at least book 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how different the listening experience was and how it illuminated new ideas for me too. I had read the series three times already when I decided to listen and it was really new again!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for such an interesting and informative article. I have listened to all the Outlander books three times and have been wondering about Davina. I recently listened to Tess of the D'Ubervilles because she narrated it. Beautiful job!
    Kathy Hanyok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm curious about her other books too because she really is stellar. I'll check out Tess....after I finishe the Lord John Grey books on audio---not as good as Davina but entertaining and lots of important backstory information.

      Delete
  5. Janet, thanks so much taking us right there with you. What a rich and beautifully-written piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this piece you, Janet have written I feel as you do about Outlander and Davina. I have never been this way, obsessed about any series as I am OUTLANDER. My first obsession was Thornbirds on TV But Nothing like I am Now!!! Thank you for this interview with the first narrator and the only one I can listen to. I lucked out when I bought my Audio Books. Now I'm spoiled!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm now happy I have a long commute to work so I can listen to Davina and all the Outlander books :) I may try some of her other audio books too. She is just so good!

      Delete
  7. You must read them all to us. YOU are as important as our beloved Diana and our characters. Outlander series would never be the same without you Davina <3 LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so with you. And I know Davina is too. Yet another reason Diana needs to get herself busy at that desk and finish up for goodness sake!

      Delete
  8. This is so wonderful Janet! It's one thing to hear people talk about how much they love Davina's voice but quite another to be brought into a discussion about her craft. The extent of her preparation is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview and blog post! I LOVE and ADORE Davina Porter's Claire, Jamie and all of the other characters! I prefer her "versions" of them over the actors in the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you're the first to say you prefer Davina's renditions over the cast, but I agree she is amazing and a real treasure! Here's to her continued good health so she can read the rest of the books too!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, refused to listen to Audiobooks, but I kept hearing over and over (and over!) just how great the Outlander audiobooks are. Then, on a drive down from San Francisco to LA my friend put the first one on, and the rest is history! I've been listening to them ever since. My commute every day is only about 20 minutes, but I listen to Davina faithfully. I was hoping listening to the entire series would use up all of Droughtlander, but as I'm halfway through with MOBY right now, I'll finish a bit too soon. Ah well...perhaps I shall start over again from the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how so many of us just have Outlander on repeat, whether it's the books or the audiobooks or both. :)

      Delete
  12. I love Davina as the reader for the audiobooks. I have every one of them and listen to them all the time. Her range of character voices is amazing. Well done in getting the interview with her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My YES!
    I discovered outlander about 10 months ago and since then I have read the books 2-03 times each, listened to every Podcast available, and watched and re-watched the TV Series often (could not guess how many times I have watched the wedding). Listening to Davina's narration and brilliant interpretation of each and every character is yet another amazing, intriguing, captivating dimension of the world of Outlander. Even after reading this article it amazes me that no two voices are alike. Davina, looking forward to The Bees and book 10!!!! How long after publishing do the recordings begin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question about how long after publishing do recordings begin. I'll try to email her and ask what the norm has been in the past. Given her age, I hope the answer is that it starts quickly. I'm sure Bees will be long and even at 5 hours a day, that is going to take some time!

      Delete
  14. I'm another fan obsessed with Outlander and Davina's lush performance that brings Diana's characters to life! I am listening to the books for the third time and have had a hard time taking a break between books to 'read' anything else. Listening to a wonderful narrator like Davina is like watching a fine performance, and she amazes me with the variety of characters she voices, each one spot on! I have been anxiously awaiting "Bees" and hadn't considered that it would take some time before I could listen to it. The agony! Davina absolutely HAS to narrate that one, too!!! I would love to hear her re-record the LJG series; I gave up on the flat male narrator before finishing the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm listening to LJG now but I agree--it's substandard. I just want to know those books and am not that interested in reading them so I figure audio is the way to go. The backstory does inform the Outlander series in interesting ways.

      Delete
  15. Great article and interview, Janet! I never listened to an audiobook until Outlander and didn't want to even then until I read comments in some of my Outlander groups about how good they were so decided to give it a try. I wasn't expecting to like them, but I LOVED them! Davina is wonderful. I love her interpretations of the characters - they are so true to the book. Also, when I listen, I pick up on so much more of the detail (and we know there's a lot of that!) than when I am reading. Thank you for tracking Davina down and sharing a little of her with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Janet another great article. For me Davina is who I measure all other narrators. I pray she will finish the series ... hurry up Diana and write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna

      Yes! Every time Diana releases lines from another project I want to scream STOP WRITING OTHER THINGS! FINISH THE OUTLANDER SERIES!!! She's not getting any younger AND we want Davina to be able to read them too!

      Delete
  17. I started reading the books and then towards the end of Outlander I switched over to Audible and never looked back! Davina pulls you into the story as if you were living it so there were many days I would listen for 7 hours or more without realizing! Thank you Diana and thank you Davina!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was so interesting to hear from her! So much thought and intention. Thank you for putting this post together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Davina P. Sounds so lovely&intelligent,I only listened to 1 audiobook so far,but I still like just the usual books,turning the pages love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is lovely to talk to. I will never give up books for audiobooks, but having the audio option is a lovely way to have Outlander with you while you're driving or doing other things :)

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for this. I searched Davina on Audible and chose titles based on her narration. I am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Janet!

    I am so like you with regard to books and audiobooks. I, too, was a book snob about electronic books and never ever thought I would like audiobooks. The narrator of an audiobook can make or break the book. In the beginning I would check out the CD's from my library, and if I couldn't stand the narrator after the first disc, back it went even if it was a wonderful book.

    I have all Diana's books in hardback and paperback and also have all the audiobooks for driving in my car to and from work, etc. I started listening to Outlander after having read the books 1-5 twice through. (I started the series in 2003)Now my system is FIRST, READ THE BOOK! Then the second time I listen to Davina's wonderful narration. The third time through is the book again, and back and forth. I find I pick up so many more things with the audiobook because it makes you slow down. I always thought I would miss things listening because my mind would wander, but that's not the case. At least not with me. I listen to every word.

    Davina is delightful. Let's pray her voice holds up through the last of the big books. Can't imagine anyone else voicing Claire and Jamie going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only listened to Davina once but have read the whole series twice and the first three books three times....I am already planning, however, to listen to the series again. Right now I've been enjoying the Lord John series on tape (not as good but I'm really loving the back story information).....next stop: a Davina re-listen!

      Delete
  24. I've listened to all of the Outlander series through The Firey Cross. I absolutely LOVE Davina and what she does with each of Diana's characters. Each is so distinct and personal. And she does it so smoothly and seamlessly that you forget it's all being read by the same person as you listen. She brings each character into a life of their own. I listen to many audio books, and it's extremely rare to find a narrator with this kind of diversity in her narration. Often, all the male parts sound the same and most of the female parts (if the narrator is female. Just the opposite if the narrator is male.). But Davina makes each one distinct. Enough so that even if the author didn't tell you who was talking at the time, it would be easily distinguished. Thank you Davina, for all the work you do ahead of time in developing the characters of the books you read. It makes the listen SOOOOOOO much more interesting. A Breath of Snow and Ashes is my next listen and I'm looking forward to it VERY much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Davina brought these characters to life before the show ever did. When I struggled through some books, I would audiobook it. My children have grown up listening to her [sex scenes on pause, mind you] on their way to school. Much love to her and may her voice be the one in the next book. It wouldn't be the same without her.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top